If you are interested, following is how I made them. As a warning however, be careful not to burn the pi$$ out of yourself with the hot glue gun. I recommend temporarily gluing the wood disk base down with a small blob of hot glue to your work surface or a block or wood before you start.
The mound was made by applying the hot glue slowly around and around the perimeter of the base, building it up and working towards the center while leaving a void. When done it will looks sort of like a bird’s nest or gopher mound.
With the glue gun pointing up to the ceiling I slowly squeezed to get a thicker “worm”. After getting it as tall as I can, I quickly dip it in the water to freeze it. I trim the tapered bottom off with scissors to make it squared off where it will be attached in the nest. I put a drop of hot glue in the nest and pushed the worm into place.
I start by painting the worm and the splashes white. I paint the base and nest black. The nest then gets a brown wash, a black wash and then a red drybrushing to make it look like it is glowing hot. The worm and the splashes get painted yellow then get a red wash followed by an orange, then yellow, then white drybrush.
The only problem is that they look crazy phallic. Oh well, another excuse for crude humor at the gaming table.
This model could also be used as some type of mutant lava worm for Gamma World or Mutant Future.
The hot glue is rather transparent and I need to investigate making a gelatinous cube with a skeleton, bones and some other bits suspended inside. Hmmm.